Steve Pilgrim [Clark S. Pilgrim, Jr.]
Senior operations executive with deep experience in strategic process design, supply chains, technology management and continual improvement initiatives.
03/2005 - Present
A business advisory providing services to small businesses in the areas of operations, supply chain improvements, technology management and profit growth.
- Completed clients' projects in operations, I.T., processes and improvement.
- Developed quality and customer service reviews for a client's weekly radio show.
- Installed supply chain and EDI processes for a sporting goods manufacturer.
- Designed and coordinated technology requirements with architects, contractors and engineers for a client's new $20 million facility.
- Led a new strategy development initiative for the managing partner of a large medical practice.
- Provided ongoing I.T. support to a client in the network administration business.
- Developed the strategy for a new production system in a consumer goods manufacturer.
- Coordinated a needs analysis project for a large design-build firm.
- Initiated development of a suite of services designed to help smaller companies adapt the lean principles of the Toyota Production System.
06/1994 - 08/2005
A privately-held software company that installs and supports a leading ERP software system for distributors, manufacturers and light assembly operations.
- Responsible for the leadership and general management of the firm.
- Developed strategic marketing plans that produced eleven consecutive years of profitability.
- Provided project and technology management to clients.
- Saved a multi-national distribution client over $1,000,000 by completing an I.T. project abandoned by a previous supplier.
- Expanded into new advisory disciplines including supply chains, EDI and e-business.
- Managed new client development, project management and consultants across multiple projects.
- Designed and installed a project management methodology for supply chain projects.
- Provided inventory control and systems advice for distribution clients across the country.
- Developed e-business strategies and processes for clients in a dozen industries.
- Provided interim CIO services to a global ministry during the search for a permanent CIO.
10/1990 - 05/1994
A publicly-traded Fortune 500 distributor and integrator of the leading brands of networks, computer products and services with sales approaching $5 billion.
Vice President, Customer Sales, April 1993 to May 1994
- Responsible for transforming the customer service operations into outbound sales capabilities.
- Reorganized the company's teleservices group of 120 employees from an inbound call center into outbound telesales teams.
- Achieved record sales growth with no additional call center headcount in 1993 and 1994.
- Applied statistical process control techniques to improve call center metrics by 93% with no additional staff.
Vice President, Strategic Planning, February 1991 to April 1993
- Responsible for strategy development and quality improvement.
- Led the executive team in two annual strategic planning sessions that resulted in a 560% increase in market value.
- Hired and led a team of business analysts who identified and saved $23 million of costs.
- Led the strategic planning process that allowed MicroAge to be ranked number one in shareholder gains on the NASDAQ in 1993.
- Hired a Director of Quality and launched the company's quality initiative.
Director, Location Automation, October 1990 to January 1991
- Responsible for the development of a distributed automation system with real-time linkages to the company's logistics systems.
- Implemented a comprehensive customer automation system linked to the company's supply chain.
- Developed integrated logistics projects with two major suppliers providing revolutionary supply chain improvements.
09/1982 - 09/1990
American Business Systems, Inc.
An award-winning MicroAge franchise providing information systems, software and integration services to corporate, commercial and institutional customers.
Chief Operating Officer, March 1986 to September 1990
- Responsible for all operations supporting the company's sales and profit objectives.
- Designed a Service Excellence initiative to improve all operations in the company.
- Eliminated $500,000 of inventory by basing inventory management on a just-in-time model.
- Reengineered business operations to provide customers and sales teams with timely information and overnight delivery of goods.
- Reduced resolution time for field service problems and order fulfillment from a week to less than one business day.
- Won MicroAge's Franchise of the Year Award for outperforming 523 other franchisees in 1990.
- Achieved the highest increase in sales and profits among MicroAge's franchisees in 1989.
- Received MicroAge's Leading the Way Award in 1989 for year-over-year business improvement.
- Awarded IBM's Platinum Partner for sales growth, profit growth, employee development and customer satisfaction.
Vice President, Operations, March 1984 to February 1986
- Responsible for leading the company's administrative processes and financial operations.
- Provided support for business management systems, daily business scorecard and software applications.
- Installed a business management system for sales, service, supply chain and accounting.
Corporate Sales Executive, September 1982 to February 1984
- Responsible for sales results with small businesses as well as large accounts.
- Organized and implemented a $1,000,000 sales and logistics program for a Fortune 500 company that moved its corporate headquarters to Memphis.
- Expanded the company's sales activities into key vertical markets.
08/1980 - 08/1982
Energy Management Consultants
A privately-held engineering company providing engineered solutions in the field of commercial energy management, building retrofits and energy conservation.
- Responsible for changing the business strategy from architectural design to engineering retrofits.
- Provided general management and leadership for a team of fourteen engineers and architects.
- Developed a business strategy and sales focus that led the company to profitability.
- Provided leadership in alternative energy research and consulting service pricing.
- Installed financial controls and accounting systems to track projects and profitability.
06/1976 - 07/1980
A privately-held automotive aftermarket distributor providing products and I.T. services nationwide.
Marketing Manager, March 1978 to July 1980
- Responsible for supporting sales efforts with marketing plans and programs.
- Developed marketing materials for the company's computer services division.
- Administered the company's cooperative advertising programs with over 300 suppliers.
- Designed marketing plans for a national network of automotive warehouses and resellers.
Management Candidate Program, June 1976 to February 1978
- Responsible for taking assignments in every operating area of the business.
- Learned logistics, distributed information systems and inventory management methods.
SKILLS, TECHNOLOGIES & PROJECTS
- Strategic planning
- Continual improvement methods
- Supply chains & process design
- Technology & project management
- Team assembly, facilitation & leadership
EDUCATION & INTERESTS
- IBM Dealer Presidents Institute, 1989
- MBA courses, Memphis State University, 1978-1980
- BSEE, Mississippi State University, 1972-1976
- ------------ OTHER EDUCATION and INTERESTS -------------
- Weekly radio guest, Talk About Service Radio, 2004 to 2006
- Malcolm Baldridge Award, Regional Examiner, 2004
- American Society for Quality, Member, 1991 to 2006
- INFORMS, Member, 2004 to 2006
- Operations Research Applied to Inventory Control, 2004
- Understanding Variation, 2000
- Leadership Dynamics, 1998
- Association for Quality and Participation, Member, 1991 to 2001
- Integrity Selling Institute, 1994
- IBM Strategic Quality Institute, 1992
- Management Action Programs (MAP), 1992
- SouthWare Innovations, Inc. Advisory Board Member, 1986 to 1992
- Crosby Quality College, 1991
- Pecos River Ranch Participative Leadership Institute, 1990
References available upon request.
HTML version | E-mailable HTML version | Plain Text (.txt) version.
Valid XHTML 1.1 / CSS 2.0